| ||September 25, 2012|
Commander Completes 2012 Field Program & Receives Results from Omineca Copper-Gold Property
| ||VANCOUVER, BC - Commander Resources Ltd. (CMD-TSX.V, "Commander") reports that it has now completed summer field programs at several of its 100% owned gold and base metal properties. This year's work programs focused on the Omineca copper-gold project in central British Columbia, Sabin copper-gold project in Ontario, and the Glenmorangie gold project in southeast Yukon.|
The focus for 2012 was to advance projects in the Company's portfolio through ground work and geophysics to prepare drill targets for next year. A total of 1,418 soils, 47 rock samples, 29 silt samples and 12 heavy metal concentrate samples were collected from the three project areas. The JV partnership with Aston Bay Ventures on the Storm Cu-Zn property was active this summer, and drilling has just commenced on the JV partnered (Stratabound Minerals) Cu-Zn Nepisiguit property located in the Bathurst camp.
The following points highlight the activities for this summer:
Omineca Project, BC:
- The Omineca project has identified additional high copper and gold soil geochemistry within the ABE property.
- An overlapping anomalous zone of >1,000 ppm Cu (0.1%) in soils and 250 ppb Au in soils (0.25 g/t Au) covers over 1.8 km in extent. Anomalous gold values (>50 ppb) extend a further 1.5 km beyond this zone. This extensive gold-copper zone was not drill tested in the 2007 program and is a highly prospective target for a 2013 drilling program.
- Values of up to 1,650 ppm Cu and 654 ppb Au were discovered in this year's soils program.
- In addition, testing for Au and PGE's in rock samples discovered one sample with 1.16% Cu, 0.29 g/t Au, 0.57 g/t Pd as well as 0.54% Ni. Another sample recorded 2.24 g/t Au with 55.5 g/t Ag.
- This is the first time the property has been tested for PGE's and Ni; with the known mafic intrusions on the property, a new dimension to the opportunities may occur on ABE.
Sabin Property, Ontario:
- A total of 689 soils samples have been submitted to SGS Mineral Services for gold fire assay and ICP analysis. Results are pending.
- This is the first time that the property has been tested for gold in soils. A figure of 100,000 tonnes of 2.2% Copper was calculated by the then Owner, UMEX, for the Marchington zone back in the 1970's. This is a historical figure and not to be relied upon as it does not comply with the CIM classification.
Glenmorangie Property, Yukon:
- 2012 mapping and prospecting of the Glenmorangie property focused on the anomalous zones - the Camp Zone and Hidden Valley Zone discovered during last year's exploration program.
- In addition, 401 soil samples were collected as in-fill samples across the two anomalous zones; results are pending.
- The 2011 Heavy Metal concentrate sampling downstream of the Hidden Valley resulted in one sample returning 7 grains of gold, equivalent to 20 g/t Au. Results of the sampling upstream of this location as well as sampling of adjacent water sheds are still pending.
- Continued mapping of the area has discovered a carbonated conglomerate unit, possibly part of the Yusezyu Formation, which has been folded into the younger Vampire Formation. This unit is the host rock for gold mineralization on Northern Tiger's nearby 3Ace property and adds an additional potential to the Glenmorangie property. A number of rock samples have been collected and submitted for analysis.
Eric Norton, President and CEO states: "We have managed to successfully advance three of our gold and copper exploration projects this year with a minimum amount of expenditure. The results for our Omineca project highlighting the extent of the copper-gold anomalies across ABE really show the potential for this property. The results from these programs will aid in identifying drill targets for next year's exploration. We will be publishing the rest of the results as well as those of our joint venture partners on our Storm property and Nepisiguit property within the next few weeks."
Summary of Properties:
The Omineca Porphyry Copper-Gold Project is located within the prolific copper-gold producing Quesnel Trough. Commander holds six properties in the area. The field program included reconnaissance prospecting, mapping and geochemical sampling. A total of 328 soil samples, 22 rock samples and 8 silt samples were for submitted for assay to ALS Minerals in North Vancouver. Three heavy metal concentrate samples were also collected and submitted for grain count analysis.
The prospects fall within the southern part of the Abraham Creek complex, an elongated package of late Triassic and early Jurassic intrusions, with later stage Cretaceous intrusions (known to host Cu, Au mineralization). Mapping by the B.C. Geology Survey in 2004 highlighted this area as having many similarities to the Iron Mask complex around Kamloops B.C. hosting the Newgold Afton copper-gold mine and the Abacus / KGHM copper-gold Ajax pit.
The Sabin Copper-Gold Property is located in the Sturgeon Lake Greenstone belt of Archean metavolcanic and metasedimentary rocks in the Wabigoon Sub-Province of the Superior Province, 400 km northwest of Thunder Bay, Ontario. This year's program was the first significant work done on the property since 1996. Previous work primarily focused on the search for base metals, but a recent review of the historical data identified significant gold potential. A geochemical survey was completed to extend information beyond previously discovered mineralization. The previous Sabin property holder, Umex, delineated a 100,000 ton zone of mineralization grading 2.2% copper, as well as 1.18% zinc and 2.81 oz/t silver (87.4 g/t Ag) and 0.012 oz/t gold (0.37 g/t Au). This is a historic estimate and not to be relied upon, although it is indicative of the potential mineralization. Gold was reported in some of the drill holes, but was ignored because of the low gold price at that time. The property is accessible by road and rail. 689 soil samples were collected over a two week period. The samples have been submitted to SGS Mineral Services.
The Glenmorangie Gold Property was acquired by Commander in May 2011. The property is situated 35 km north of the 3Ace property, a recently discovered shear hosted gold system and 11 km north of the Justin project, an intrusion related system, owned by Aben Resources. North American Tungsten mine is 7 km east of the property. In 2011 Commander carried out a $345,000 program which included mapping, prospecting, and soil, silt and rock chip geochemical sampling. A total of 205 rock samples, 1,396 soils and 52 silt samples were collected and assayed. Two discrete zones, the Camp Zone and the Hidden Valley Zone, were identified as being anomalous in gold. This year's program in-filled the geochemical data within these zones, and continued geological mapping of the area. Heavy Metal concentrate sampling was successfully carried out last year with the identification of coarse and fine grained gold within bulk silt samples. This program was carried out again with the aim of tracking gold finds up-stream and hopefully closer to source. Nine heavy metal samples were collected as well as 401 soil samples, 25 rock samples and 9 silt samples. The geochemical samples have been submitted to ALS Minerals at the Whitehorse location.
Steve Potts, P. Geo, VP of Exploration is a Qualified Person as defined by National Instrument 43-101 and has reviewed and approved the technical disclosure contained in this release.
COMMANDER trades on the TSX Venture Exchange under the symbol "CMD". For additional information, please visit the Company's website at http://www.commanderresources.com.
On behalf of the Board of Directors,
President & CEO
For further information, please call:
Cathy DiVito, Investor Relations
Toll Free: 1-800-667-7866
The TSX Venture Exchange has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this news release.
You can view the Next News Releases item: Thu Oct 11, 2012, Commander Optionee Moving Forward On Public Listing
You can view the Previous News Releases item: Mon Jul 23, 2012, Commander Optionee Commences Work at Storm Copper Property
You can return to the main News Releases page, or press the Back button on your browser.